If you are in the need to get your boards off the floor and can manage some basic Bob Villa skills, building your own surf or board racks may be the way to go. I have found many articles online of people building their own racks for about half the cost. Here are some pretty sick racks that can be built with some basic home depot supplies. Pic and supplies listed below.
Supplies and tools:
- 2 pairs of board holders (main site recommends specific ones but and kind of rack will work)
- 2 2×4′s ( you can stain or paint these to match your room)
- 4 hanger bolts
- Carpet samples for wall protection (furniture pads all work well)
- Sandpaper (coarse, medium, fine – e.g. 100, 150, 220)
- 4 1 3/4 inch screws to mount the board holders
- Enough small nails to secure the carpet pieces, or furniture pads to the top and back of the 2×4′s
- drill, hand saw, tape measure, etc.
I simplified it down a bit but you can check out all the supplies that were used and the step by step instructions by going to Kevin’s Blog. It seems he may have taken it down so if anybody wants to help with these instructions or suggest a better DIY spot. Let us know!
I also posted a few years back of the homemade bike rack for under $15 that can also be used. You can find it @ http://www.surfboardracksblog.com/surfboard-racks/the-do-it-yourself-bicycle-surfboard-rack-for-under-15
Here is also a link to a forum that discussed how to make homemade racks that can be added to your existing luggage racks for jeeps. Just scroll down a bit to find the post.
Also, check out this DIY video we just found for making a home made surfboard bike rack.
I have some more homemade racks that I will be posting later this week. If anyone has made their own racks and has pictures and supply list please let me know and I will put them up for everyone to see.